Sunday, April 29, 2012

100 Days of Discipline - 2

Matthew 2

Scripture: Matthew 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men

Observation: It amazes me that every child was killed in search of one.  I cannot imagine the overwhelming pain this must have caused.  Also, it occurs to me that even a child's life is not spared at times.  These children were killed.  The children in Egypt were killed during the plagues in Moses' time.  I wonder if this added to the distrust of Jesus when he grew older.  If there were those - especially mothers - who would remember the death of their children because of this one child.  How is a heart to be softened after something like this? 

Application:  Perhaps if one has faith before the death of a loved one it is easier to know that God is simply taking back what belongs to Him.  I need to remember that this child within me is given to me for a time to raise but there is no guarantee of how long I will be blessed with his/her presence. 

Prayer: God, I pray that you would help keep things in perspective for me.  That I would always be mindful of the job I have to do as a mother and that ultimately everything is in your hands.  Help me to bear the weight of tragedies yet to come.  In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment